Last updated on May 19, 2019
Leron Gray is a man of many talents. Not getting really into computers until much later in life, but always having a creative side, he now finds himself as a pentester working from home and nerdcore rapper producing amazing beats!
Leron is currently a penetration tester and a ten year Navy veteran with four years experience as a Cryptologic Technician (Networks), focusing primarily in offensive cyber operations. He holds a Bachelor’s degree from Dakota State University in Cyber Operations. With a passion for Python, he loves automating tedious daily routine tasks for efficiency and considers himself to always be in a position to learn more and pass on knowledge. He always enjoys competing in as many Capture-the-Flag events as possible and also often performs as a nerdcore rapper.
- Went to a high school that made you choose majors.
- Grew up poor, was not allowed to go out much.
- Technological learning came from school.
- Didn’t really get into computers until he was 25.
- Has been in music sister Jr. High School. Marching band, jazz band, and concert band… all the bands.
- Networking is the biggest thing that Leron says would help.
- Leron offers his passionate opinion on “aptitude”. It’s a pet peeve of his.
- “I learned a lot… I made sure not to waste any opportunity for learning…”
- “Job searching in general is a pain.”
- “I don’t think I would be where I am right now if I hadn’t gone out and made that effort.”
- “One of the big deals that people had were degrees, I wasn’t really sure why; I have 10 years of IT/Cyber experience.”
- “It turned out the company no longer owned that server. Their DNS was still pointing to it though.”
- “I took Java in high school and was really bad at it and I found out everyone is bad at Java so it doesn’t really matter.”
- “It’s so much easier to learn when you have a problem to fix.”
- “It’s not even just information security that learning pyt hon could help… it could be anything you do.. .often enough to warrant not to do it manual.”
- “Nobody does a CTF and expects not to learn something by the time they leave .”
- “Job searches shouldn’t be like that. They should be based on you merit. But…”
- “Maybe the person can’t get OSCP, but maybe they have the skills or knowledge…”
- “The idea of aptitude… raises too many borders.”
Leron on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mcohmi
Leron’s Blog: https://daddycocoaman.dev/
Leron’s GitHub: https://github.com/daddycocoaman
Class that Leron Is Mentoring: https://www.sans.org/mentor/class/sec573-seattle-19mar2019-leron-gray
Visual Studio Code: https://code.visualstudio.com/
IPython Notebook: https://ipython.org/notebook.html
San Antonio’s Hackers Association: https://satxhackers.org/wp/
MC OHM-I: https://www.mcohmi.com
Intro Music: Cascadia by Trash80 – https://trash80.com/#/content/133/weeklybeats-2012-week5 (Released under Creative Commons)
Outro Music: https://soundcloud.com/mc-ohm-i/domain
Getting Into Infosec
I made it on a Top 5 list! https://blog.feedspot.com/data_security_podcasts/